Sunday, August 21, 2011

Contrast

Vivien Zepf
This piece came to mind as our nation's political parties debated how to address America's budget.  We're all part of the same country, but boy, do we all have different and conflicting ideas as to how to solve problems.  It can be wonderful and debilitating all at once.

Though I know the symbolism's not immediately apparent, the background references the fields covering so much of our country.  The hole represents the gap in the budget and the square represents the financial debate -- you know, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.   Finally, the quilting can be equated to lines of communication that sometimes intersect but lots of times, especially when it comes to a heated topic, can go 'round and 'round in circles, never coming close to meeting.

This is not my most elegant, difficult, or successful piece but I did consider how to abstract my thoughts and feelings into it.  That was something new for me and I'm satisfied with the effort.  Let me also say that working with a hole in the quilt sometimes makes things difficult.  This is called "The Debt Crisis: Trying to Fit a Square Peg into a Round Hole".  

2 comments:

  1. I like it...and it is apropos for me today as my daughter told me that she had made it through the first round for her pledge to a business fraternity and they asked her if she would be willing to speak on the national deficit....

    I understand completely the challenge of making a quilt with a hole in it as I'm working on one too! I love the balance you've created with the green and the red square with the brown/neutral providing the foil for the red. Your quilting is a good balance for it as well. Even if it isn't the "most elegant, difficult or successful piece" to your mind, I do find elegance in its simplicity and you certainly did convey the concept well. Lisa Q.

    ReplyDelete